Monday, August 08, 2005

Bad Mommy. Bad, Bad, Bad!

In preparation for spending several hours yesterday in the blazing sun, I slathered myself with SPF 50 sunblock (this is not an exaggeration, they really make it that strong) to protect my lotus-petal skin from damage (that might be an exaggeration, but I'm feeling a little low today, so tell me I'm pretty, ok?).

The Hobbit, who really does have beautiful skin, did not receive this treatment, because while she was outside, she was not in the sun. I therefore believed her to be safe. I'm sure by now you've all seen where this is going -- the Hobbit now has her first sunburn, and I have what must be my 1,357,789th case of mommy guilt.

When we got home, I popped the sunburned, tired, hungry, thirsty Hobbit into her high chair, hoping to remedy half of what ailed her. I pinched her thigh with the buckle as I strapped her in. 1,357,790.

She is now safely in the hands of child care professionals, who may or may not let me take her back tonight.

No comments: