Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Whatever this hideous disease is that's making the rounds in my circles, I've had enough of it! DD had a cold, which of course developed into an ear infection and (shudder) pinkeye. I HATE pinkeye; it's so gross! And, like every ear infection the poor thing has had, we didn't even know she was sick until the pinkeye showed up. She never pulls at her ears or anything -- we always take her to the doctor for some other cause, like a rash or throwing up, and it turns out it's a complication of the ear infection. Worse, it's never the same thing twice, so we can never say, "Oh, she's got another rash -- better have her ears checked!" We tried that, and that time the rash was just a virus, and there was nothing they could do. Ah, the joys of parenting.
Anyway, this time I caught the stupid bug too, and spent all day Friday confined to my bed. I literally felt like an adventurer when I dragged my sorry self all the way to the kitchen for some crackers. Now, almost 6 days later, I'm still coughing like a 50-year smoker (never had a cigarette in my entire life), and I have pinkeye too (again, shudder). Plus, it hasn't stopped raining here in what seems like weeks. If I could only see the sun, I think my outlook would be greatly improved. (Am seriously considering moving to Alaska; that way, I'd have about 12 additional hours of potential sunlight each day.)
Once upon a time I boasted that I hardly ever got sick. I was young and foolish then, and I didn't have a baby bringing home a day care's worth of germs. Oh, well.
Maybe part of it is that I didn't used to mind being sick all that much. If it's just me, I can hole up for a few days, get over it, and move on. Now, though, I have to hoard my days off in case the baby is sick, so I didn't want to take more than one for myself. And even when I am at home, DD is way too little to understand that Mama is sick; she still needs just as much attention as always. DH manfully took on more than his usual share, but she's still a Mama's girl, so there's only so much he can do.
Does everybody run into this dilemma? What do you do about it?

No comments: