Monday, October 15, 2007

We've Come a Long Way

It's a cute story, but it also struck me how different life is for a child born in 2004 (in the US) than for one born in 1950 or even in 1978.

On Friday, the Jellyman took Raisin to urgent care. She had complained of a sore throat that was getting worse instead of better, but it's impossible to get an appointment at our clinic the same day unless you call first thing in the morning.

I attempted to prepare her for the experience by explaining that she was going to see a doctor, but it would be a new one instead of Dr. F. "OK," she said, "when I see the new doctor, I'll tell her my throat hurts."

Sensing trouble coming, I pointed out that the new doctor might even be a man. She seemed puzzled, but she didn't say anything else until she and the Jellyman were in the waiting room.

When she brought it up again, the Jellyman said she was worried about having a boy doctor. Would he do a good job? Would he be nice? Finally the Jellyman said, "You know, Raisin, D (the husband of a college friend) is a doctor."

"NO! D's a DOCTOR!? I didn't know that!!!!"

That eased Raisin's mind, and we all got a good chuckle, especially D's wife when I told her about it. But it struck me later -- Raisin had absolutely no concept that a man could be a doctor. Her perspective is the complete reverse of the assumptions that existed for our mothers, and really even for us.

When progress sometimes seems so slow, it's comforting to see how far behind us the starting line lies.

1 comment:

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Yeah, our kids are never going to get that feminist brain teaser about the surgeon who cannot operate on her son.