Monday, July 25, 2005

In Which a Tree Falls on My House

This weekend? Not the best I've ever had. Saturday morning a very brief but very violent storm blew down part of the monster tree in our backyard. Onto our house and through our power line. Crap, and other words I don't usually say, because I am such a well-bred lady. Or not.

The power is still not on, the tree is only partially gone, and the insurance will only cover about 2/3 of the cost of removing the flippin' thing. (Do you know how much it costs to remove a big tree? I didn't know, and I wish I still didn't!)

Still, in all fairness, there are good things about the whole thing:

1. No one was hurt. At all. Thank God.

2. The Hobbit and I were not at home when it happened, which is especially good since the tree hit right over her room and she could've been scarred for life. DH was in the room next to where the tree hit. He was pretty darn shaken, and he's not 15 months old.

3. My parents live nearby, and we were able to sleep, do laundry, and salvage some of our frozen food at their place.

4. The damage to the house seems relatively minimal -- at least, the roof is intact enough to keep water out.

Nonetheless, it's not an experience I have particularly enjoyed. If you were thinking about arranging for a tree to fall on your house, I would recommend reconsidering that plan.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Dude! That sucks! And I thought I had a bad weekend...

What kind of insurance only pays to remove 2/3 of the tree? What are you supposed to do with the other 1/3? Use it as a clothesline?

Julie said...

The insurance will pay to clean up the part of the tree that fell on the house (good news: the repairs to the house will be 100% covered). The thing is, a portion of the tree is still standing. However, it's rotten in several places, and very unstable now that so much of it has fallen. So we will have to pay to remove the rest of it, or take the chance that we will be this lucky the next time it storms.